trenchant

about what I know and what interests me

On a Sailboat, At the Crossroads

I feel like a changed man every few months though nothing basic changes. No wonder things around me keep changing very often and I stay witness, and ponder once in a while that change is constant and time just flies by. I’m left confused, looking to go somewhere new. I find myself On a Sailboat, At the Crossroads.

Not too long ago I started blogging tenaciously, keen (so I called my blog – Trenchant) at expressing my self and staying abreast with happenings of the world. Soon my passions became plenty. I felt like wanting to do anything to everything at once, like it was now or never. To blogging I added public speaking, yoga and then there was Trekking and traveling, then came The Guitar and Tennis and Swimming and Photography. Oh what not! That was when I announced to the world that ‘You really have all the time in the world to do all this and more’. I did well at office too. ๐Ÿ™‚ I felt on top of the world when I strummed the Guitar to a newly learnt tune or when I swam across to the other end of the swimming pool in one stretch. I felt like a king, but yet again confused and looking for something new. I find myselfย  On a Sailboat, At the Crossroads.

Without much of my knowledge or consent things around me seem to change. My responsibilities at work changed, and so did my perceptions about a few things in life. I found my self thinking new thoughts, making new plans though noting seemed to work. I stopped playing tennis, going to Toastmasters club, I neither went to trek nor did I play the guitar any more. I did not blog or even photograph much. I realized one day that I was only going to work and coming back exhausted. I did not complain that I was not able to do all those things I liked but I simply seemed to have put them aside without a qualm. I worked like a dog, like a cat and like all kinds of animals. I’ve no regrets though. I got suitable rewards too…. I guess. But I find my self in a fix again. I find myself On a Sailboat, At the Crossroads.

I’m nevertheless at the crossroads one in a while. I’m sure most of us feel that way once every few months. But I feel most people choose a new road consciously. Its another thing that the choice could be right or wrong for them though. But they seem to do it consciously.

I seem to go with the wind! Yeah now you get it…that’s why I see myselfย  ‘On a Sailboat, At the Crossroads’. I realize that I’m going with the wind, but only when I see myself at another cross roads!

I meet many people, be through many situations, feel happy, feel sad, make friends, lose loved ones, all in the transit. Its a whirlwind-roller-coaster-sailboat-ride for me! I neither seem to steer nor do I seem to care. Now again…I’m on the look to go somewhere new. I find myself On a Sailboat, At the Crossroads.

Please share your thoughts in the comments section.

P.S. I’m reminded of one two of my all time favorite Lucky Ali numbers –ย  Sunte hi rahte hai... & Jheel pe jaise naav chale, aahista aahista…

21 Responses to “On a Sailboat, At the Crossroads”

1. Sriram Sundar Rajan says:

“I stopped playing tennis, I neither went to trek nor did I play the guitar any more. I did not blog or even photograph much” –> And you stopped public speaking big time…I request you to edit the blog and add Toastmasters to the list you have stopped doing as well…(p.s : do that if you promise to come back :))

I was reminded of Forrest Gump (so running and table tennis anytime soon :))

• bharath reddy says:

Haha! Nice observation Sriram.Yeah Toastmasters is what I meant when I said public speaking. I sure want to comeback to TM, added it to the list sir. You made it sound like a sentiment!

You’re nearly right, I’m thinking of jogging regularly here on. I’ll watch Forrest Gump again for inspiration!

2. sreenivasa valaboju says:

Good compilation.

One sentence strikes me:
    โ€œBut I feel most people choose a new road consciously. Its another thing that the choice could be right or wrong for them though. But they seem to do it consciously.โ€

Sometimes even I feel like I am not doing it consciously..I need to reflect more on thisโ€ฆ

3. surya says:

sounds like mid-life(quarter-life…which one is it??) crisis..juss kidding bro. time to go for a refresher of kriya yoga, I guess

• bharath reddy says:

Quarter life crisis?!! haha, sort of that really. Its not as serious as the phrase sounds though. ๐Ÿ™‚ only that nothing exciting is happening around.

4. karteek says:

Hmm!
    Yes, apt use of “Sailboat” in this context! As it always keeps rocking when you are not moving.
    And sometimes even if you are moving there are no milestones or milestones which we are not interested anymore. At this junture we stop and take stock
    At this times we see many other sailboats of successful people. They might have fixed a motor to it, what do you think?. We all need that drive inside and outside and stop affected by wind or no wind!

I always in awe of your ability to do so many things! you need to get that drive back.

Nicely written and well organised. never skipped a line! Made me think of my condition- at crossroads!
    Atleast your Writing boat has started moving, rest will follow!

5. Seema A says:

Beautiful …:-)

I feel inspired by this sentence..
    “Soon my passions became plenty. I felt like wanting to do anything to everything at once, like it was now or never. ”

Felt like there is time for eveything even if we r working like any animals.. Only thing is “the zeal to do it” ๐Ÿ™‚

• bharath reddy says:

Thanks Seema. Right its the Zeal and the inspiration. But the harder part is that it has to come from within or we’ve to consciously look for it elsewhere. And in my case Inspiration dies just as fast as I get inspired!

6. moumita says:

thanks Bharath,keeping writing :)..your write-ups are always honest which makes it great..wish to see your articles in editorial sections of famous newspapers..enjoy !!

7. nEHA says:

great blog bharat!!
    u knw y i loved it.. coz it felt as if its my mind tlkin to me..
    m at a crossroad sicne last 1 year! and now whn i’ve almost decided my path ahead.. i read this blog of urs!! its abs wat is goin on in my mind rite now..

thoroughly njoyed readin it!
    my fav line : I worked like a dog, like a cat and like all kinds of animals

keep ritin buddy.. thrs a fan always watchin this space.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• bharath reddy says:

Thanks Neha. Guess this happens to most of us once every few months. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good that way!

I hope to keep writing, yes.

8. Puja says:

Hey Bharat,

A great write up. This one touches a chord. I can most certainly empathize with you right now. You have the knack of putting thoughts into the precisely right words. Looking out for more posts.

9. Priyanka Reddy K says:

Hello Bharath,

As usual, another great work from you and enjoyed reading the write-up. Must say, this is THE ONE everyone can relate to at some point(s) of time in their life. I have just crossed On a Sailboat, At the Crossroads kind of situation recently and hope not to come across again any sooner ๐Ÿ™‚

I suggest you should consider writing columns in leading newspapers (an other addition to your never ending wanting to-do list ๐Ÿ˜› )

KEEP WRITING!!!

• bharath reddy says:

Thanks Priyanka. Writing in news papers… a distant dream but yea.. for now I should keep writing. I’ll be my best, I’ve encouraging pals like you, you see ๐Ÿ˜€

10. Narendran says:

Hey Bharat, this reminds me of what one acquaintance of mine said to me about sailing, which i guess holds good in life as well : “As long as you can read the wind and hold the sail, you are safe buddy; you may be momentarily lost, but you’ll never be lost forever”..

Rajini style, Read the wind and hold the sail I say!! You should do well ๐Ÿ™‚

• bharath reddy says:

haha! that’s what is the difficult part. At the crossroads you have to choose between a few vague alternatives. In my case, however, the wind seems to be doing the choosing, I seem to go with it. I hold on to my instinct that’s what keeps me hooked though.

11. Nice write up buddy! Keep going!

12. Pradeep says:

Get married my friend!!! i bet you will never find yourself at any crossroad again. Its either HER way or the highway…

13. Chandra says:

I must say this is one of the best posts written by you. Many people can relate to what you have said.

The best thing is that you know where you are. Many people think they are speeding on a highway while they are eternally struck at a crossroads.

Good luck and keep writing interesting stuff like this. I think you have a plenty more to write for sure from your recent experience moving to the country of dollar dreams.

Good luck!