First things first, it is beyond doubt that I can say a combination of Farhan Akhtar, Hritik Roshan and Abhay Deol get us to imagine that the movie would definitely have something to go for. Add to that, the likes of Katrina Kaif, Javed Akhtar and Shankar Ehsan Loy, it sure is a tempting mock-tail for me!
So I went to the evening show at one of the UFO digital theaters in my hometown. I’ll talk about whats great about that in some time. Now the movie… Zindagi na milegi dobara….
Cast: Hrithik Roshan(Arjun), Farhan Akhtar(Imraan), Abhay Deol(Kabir), Katrina Kaif(Laila), Kalki Koechlin(Natasha), Ariadna Cabrol(Laila’s Friend), Naseruddin Shah(Salman Habib – Imran’s Father), Deepti Naval(Imran’s mom).
Story & Direction : Zoya Akhtar.
Screen Play: Reema Kagti, Zoya Akhtar.
Dialogue: Farhan Akhtar.
Lyrics and Poetry: Javed Akhtar.
Music & Background-score: Shankar, Ehsaan, Loy.
Well I would not want to tell you the story here, but I’m excited to say how I liked it!
The story opens with Kabir wanting to go on a bachlor-party-roadtrip in Spain. And what’s the big deal? one could probably guess from the promos those Mountain Dew ads that they would go adventure sporting! Still…whats the big deal? The deal is that of three sports, each would be picked by one of the three friends and it would be surprise for the other two. The point is…okay I wont tell you what the point is, go find out yourself :-p. In the go, they meet Laila in Spain. And as a matter of just a fact, she happens to be an Hindi speaking, Indian, and sexy deep diving trainer. Uff these Ittefaq (coincidence) happenings in the movies. The trio breaks many fears, share their confusions, get some clarity and more importantly, towards the end of the trip, get a fresh perspective about life.
My Observations and What I liked:
- The screenplay – slow paced (too slow for a few), and yet no gaps & glitches and exactly the kind I love watching.
- The cinematography – This is probably the art of slowing the video down, at least in this movie, it is so! And I say this to actually mention it was beautiful. We see so many scenes in slow motion and a serene background score. And believe me, that made it easy for us live through the gravity of the situations. The minutes after the deep ocean dive, the car drives through those magnificent Spanish landscapes, the confused Kabir’s stares into infinety… all of that!
- Whats simple yet fascinating – the fact that, in situations of breaking the fear of something, you evolve as an entirely different person, you discover the kind of joy you never experienced before. This aspect shown so supply in the movie, with the way Arjun is too scared to dive and then cries in joy after the deep water diving. The way Imran breaks his fear of heights and find it absolutely energizing afterwards. The way Kabir runs again to be chased by the bulls to finally feel triumphant. Boy that’s some feeling!
- Laila – Though her inning was so ittefaq based and her appearances in the storyline are too matter-of-fact like, Laila looked adorable! She really drills the point into Arjun. Plan for tomorrow but live today! And yeah not to for get, Katrina was some picture on the single-seater-Royal Enfield ride. By the way I was wondering if a Royal Enfield was availble in Europe, my little knowledge says it was an English brand that was brought to India decades ago. pcch!
- The poetry – I’ve developed my interest in poery only through Javed Akhtars Lyrics, believe me. But this one went one step ahead. It sounded so wonderful in Farhan Akhtar’s recital. Jab jab dard ka badal chyaya... and Toh zinda ho tum… whew. (Click on the links for the you-tube videos)
- The Tomatina festival – Wont it be out of the world to be squashing ripe red tomatoes on each other and play and only pay with hundreds of people around. ooh aah, take the world and paint it red.
- The Music – Last but not at all the least, the music is simply beautiful. I’m a great fan of Shankar Ehsan Loy and Javed Akhtar. So it comes without saying that I’m listening to this music for over three weeks and it will go on. Here are my favorites: Dil Dhadakne do, Ik Junoon, Khaboon ke parindey, Senorita.
- The Actors –
Farhan Akhtar: First glance at him he doesn’t seem he can act but this guy is a natural. Shy and aloof he might seem, but with the work he did with Rock-on and this movie, he is already one of my favorites.
Abhay Deol: Boy this fellow is so much better than the ol-time deol band. And with the kind of movies he did (Dev-d, Oye lucky lucky oye) he is one helluvan actor. He is a per-fit for the confused Kabir’s role.
Hrithik Roshan: This one fine actor in the making, from Mission Kashmir to Jodha akhbar, he’s done it all. Here he portrays Arjun who has his own weaknesses, his own bit of ego and his own bit of ire. With Hrithik’s extra expressive eyes, he can do so much with so less.
Katrina Kaif: Man she is charming. She’s come a long way from a being glam doll to be proving her mettle as an actor of merit. She is naturally suave and she can act, just the right mix. I already talked about Laila.
Kalki Koechlin: She was too good in Dev-D. And I’d say she did her justice playing Natasha, a catty to-be-wife.
In all ‘Zindagi na milegi dobara’ is such an apt title to the story. Its just my kind of people, my kind of drama and absolutely my kind of music, I loved every bit of it. And I recommend you watch it for sure. If you liked Dil Chahta Hai and Rock On, this is your kind of movie too!
Yeah about the UFO theater – the movie content if transmitted via a satellite directly to the theater terrace (yeah like DTH). That means so many things – movie starts and ends on time, if power goes off, you miss the bit before the power comes back on, Hi-definition content, of course limited by the theater’s audio and video capability, far less possibility of piracy. And you know what it cost me a meager 105 rupees – tickets for mom, dad and me, plus the parking fees! More than complete paisa vasool!!
Please share your views in the comments section, it helps!